Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Queen of Candiana


I am feeling extra Canadian today. A full week of discussing Canadian Constitutional amendments will do that to a gal. Or maybe its the new sweater (of the obscure vintage brand variety) That reminds me strongly of this:


“The Pearson Pendant” Lester B. Pearson’s recommended design for new Canadian flag in 1967.           

Its days like these I want to douse people in maple syrup (overly stereotypical, i know, but I'm establishing a theme) for talking about Fox news in a Canadian Politics seminar. I GET IT, they’re biased, but what exactly does that have to do with the Charlottetown accord? Nothing, . right. I guess my recent frustration could be stemming from the fact that my favorite  Canadian boutique, just down the road, is closing its doors next week. Nokomis ( which means ‘grandmother’ in Ojibwa) is probably the most beautiful store ever.

Drool

It is exclusively stocked with Canadian designed and crafted items. I have a hard time going in without wanting to buy/touch/wear absolutely everything in there. Sadly the recession did not treat Nokomis well, and they are shutting down.  Sure, their stock is a bit out of a student’s price range, but come on people, support the Motherland!  I begrudgingly (well ,maybe a little excitedly )  took part in their closing sale and got some awesome deals including these rad/chic pillowcases:


From Toronto based designer Heather McGaw
Well I think I'm done being depressed/ranting/ultra-nationalistic. Moral of the story: buy local y’all

Another awesome Local thing? ...These guys

After watching this I want 10 songbirds to fly through my window and start serenading me right now.
And i wouldn't be adverse to them bringing the band along. If you too are a fan on songbirds/the Prairies/plaid/banjos you should defiantly buy Wool on Wolves new/(debut?) album Grey Matter.

-laters


ps. today Alan Doyle from Great Big Sea came into my workplace. And I made THE biggest deal about it. Subsequently one of my co-workers called me "the Queen of Canadiana"  for knowing who he is. Which i loved, of course. Typical.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your Thoughts

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Followers