Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Stuck inside a mobile with Bobby Dylan again

 I have a colossal curiosity for roots- as in a person's roots. Its nothing new to me, I have always had an almost innate(annoying) obsession with the idea.Here are a few oddities of my own:


So I found out tonight that my parents are making an unexpected trip to my city tomorrow. This is such a parent thing to do. As pleased as I am to hear the news, I am equally doubly (surprised this is a word) infuriated by it. Simply because my weekend is plagued with a tedious work schedule, so actual time spent with family is severely compromised. I cannot stay angry too long I suppose considering it is my mom's birthday and my dad's follows soon afterward. My parents are funny folks and I'd like to think I am a pretty equal combination of both of them. A lot of my habits/opinions etc. I have today are easily traceable to being raised by them folk. Like my hatred for Jerry Seinfeld or all things Seinfeld (besides Larry David) can be issued back tothis childhood not-quite-trauma. Jerry Seinfeld has been a huge part of my life since I was like three years old. My parents would toss me into bed and being a child I would always sneak downstairs to find my parents watching Seinfeld.
My presence was always ignored due to the apparent enchanting aura of Jerry Seinfeld. Next I use to think my uncle was Jerry Seinfeld (Italian not Jewish) I think it was probably the hair, perhaps the voice though too. I also found a deep resemblance to Jerry Seinfeld in a farm-themed pillowcase I had. If Jerry Seinfeld was a golden-haired cartoon horse...he absolutely found his place on my childhood pillowcase. As well the same Jerry Seinfeld comedy cd would be on repeat every single road trip. Only Bob Dylan took precedence over Seinfeld, which also manifested into a deep repulsion. Only a year or so ago did this reverse but, for a long time I really could not stand "Bobby Dylan" or "Dilly" as my dad calls him affectionately. This hatred didn't come out of emotional trauma, rather physical. See, as a kid I would get severely carsick and as Bob Dylan was generally the soundtrack to my nauseous state  that stuck with me for awhile. So for about 15 years every time I heard Bob Dylan I would literally feel instantaneously  ill just by mere association. I am over it now, which is great cause now I really adore him, but Tangled up in Blue still manages to get me sometimes. My parents also made me love a lot of things but I don't think they are as funny, nor would they believe me (my mother refuses to believe i can enjoy classical music for some reason)

Anywho, to thank my parents for destroying the (apparent) great sitcom and (almost) one of the greatest musicians of our time here are some of the songs that they made me love.

 
Both my  parents have a really great appreciation for Gordon Lightfoot but my mom still listens to him pretty often whilst by dad always interjects with "Give it up Gordie" to fill his exasperation quota for the day (in one statement)



I obviously did not grow up with this cover but my dad introduced it to me nonetheless. My dad "found" Jack White a summer or two ago and is deeply infatuated with the man, even going as far to call him the "Dilly" aka Bob Dylan of the generation. hmmmm.

1 comment:

Penny for your Thoughts

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Followers