Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Soundtrack for the Night

It is Christmas eve’s eve, and I am at Home. Well I guess home is a term that is in limbo for me these days. To be more accurate, I am in my home town for the holidays. I guess I could go into a big ‘ol emotional rant about how weird it is to be back, like every university student ever. But I am not one to admit to emotional weakness, so instead I will refer you to an album that I think sums it all up quite nicely.


The cover and album art was done by Joel's wife; Nova Scotia based artist, and cartoonist, Rebecca Kraatz. 

Joel  Plaskett’s “Ashtray Rock”. This album is great. I always forget about how much I love it and then it comes up on shuffle and the love affair starts all over again. Ashtray Rock reminds me so much of growing up and home towns. Not mine specifically but any small town up-bringing.  This album has everything that has to do with coming back home; reminiscing, drinking, fighting, snow, highway drives, old loves, failed musical collaborations, bonfires and subtle fashion face-offs between ex- arch nemesis ( well I may be exaggerating slightly, but that’s what I like to think Joel is singing about). Also that list is fairly relative. The whole album just makes me feel like I’m driving down a dark, snowy highway at night; but in the best, least depressing way possible.  It is great, everyone should sit down and listen to it all the way through at some point. Listening to bits and pieces doesn’t really do it justice . And Plaskett’s storytelling skills are something that deserve major attention/love.

This is a weird youtube montage. My advice is ignore the awkward  image pans and just listen.

                                                
Well that was a fairly low-key and mellow first entry from me. I promise, I am usually a lot more upbeat than this. But all these shortbreads and fireplace ambiance are making me feel nostalgic/melancholy.
k bye + Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your Thoughts

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Followers